DIY Web Sites
The following URLs have appeared from time to time in UK.D-I-Y and are offered without personal recommendation or endorsement unless stated otherwise.
Please correct any broken links or add new ones that you think may be of use. Although keep in mind that only links having at least some connection to DIY are sought!
Commercial organisations are welcome to post a link to their own site if it contains something they feel will genuinely be of use to the DIY community. Please note however that due ongoing problems with wiki abuse, this site has been configured to emit "nofollow" tags on all external links - so inclusion here will not boost your sites ranking on any of the major search engines.
- Ofcom (ex-OfTel) UK communications industries regulator
- UK Telephone Code Locator Telephone area code locator
- Electronic Yellow Pages BT's Electronic Yellow Pages
- OFWAT Water Regulator many associated links
- buy.co.uk Gas, Electricity mobile phone deals
- Office of the Gas and Electricity Markets (Ofgem) Regulating electricity prices, continuity, quality etc
- Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations The official water regulations from HMSO.
- Amendment to the above regulations
- Water Regulations Tutorials by Arrow Valves
- How Rushcliffe Borough Council do it. Once on their site, follow menu to Planning and Building, then Building Control.
- How Cambridge City Council do it. Once on their site, click on Building Control, under the Environment section.
- Recent Acts of Parliament HMSO. All Public General Acts from 1996, and Local Acts from 1997, published in full. Party Wall Act, Noise Act, and others relevant to DIY.
- ASFI Association of Suppliers to the Furniture Industry
- British Board of Agrement Information on the performance of certified building products
- UK Building Information Warehouse Directory of suppliers/products.
- British Standards Institution (BSI)
- British Wood Preserving and Damp Proofing Association
- Building Research Establishment Research into all aspects of buildings and materials
- Building Centre Group Permanent exhibition of building products (London)
- Buildingweb US CANADA construction industry products etc.
- Copper Development Association Cu pipes, sheet etc FAQs
- IEE The Institution of Electrical Engineers
- ISO International Organisation of Standardisation (ISO)
- The Institute of Plumbing
- RIBA Royal Institute of British Architects
- Unimer Directory of some UK builders merchants
- Trade Association Forum Directory of trade organisations, indexed under both the name of the trade and the name of the organisation
- Centre for Alternative Technology The eco-centre in Wales
- Energy Saving Trust Govt funded, promoting efficient use of energy
- NaturalTechnology Systems Reed bed waste water treatment
Electronics and Electrical
- Repair FAQ Sci.Electronics.Repair Frequently Asked Question(s). Electronics repair and circuits cookbooks. From CD players to lawn mowers, there are lots of tips archived here. Also circuits for hobbyists and designers.
- Control Engineering Technology CET Re-conditioners of CH boiler PCBs, heat exchangers, fans, time clocks, actuators etc. Site lists prices. A very useful service run by Geoff, one of the regulars of uk.d-i-y.
- CPC Electronic parts for TVs VCRs etc
- Grandata Electronic components supplier
- Henry's Audio Electronics CCTV, audio, PA, test instruments, TV.
- MK Electric MK electrical products
- Newey and Eyre Electrical distributors
- Radio Spares RS Components (see DIY Catalogues)
-  Rapid electronics - components
- Hager Very good online catalogue for CUs switch gear etc
- Electrium Another good catalogue
Suppliers and Manufacturers
- Arch Timber Protection (formerly Hickson Timber Products) Useful site with info about timber paints and preservatives (e.g. CCA and Tanalith as in "tanalised" timber). A special version of Tanalith uses no Chromium or Arsenic.
- Architectural Ironmongery Ltd Architectural Ironmongery
- Atlas Copco Power tools
- Baxi Potterton, Baxi, Ideal Standard, Myson - boilers, heating, ventilation
- Bosch Power tools
- British Gypsum Plaster, Plasterboard, Insulation and Drylining systems
- Camas Hardlandscaping products including Bradstone
- Caradon*, now Novar* (Twyfords, Henrad, MK Electric,
- Friedland, Stelrad, Doulton, Trend Controls, Everest, and Ideal products). (*Caradon has been bought by Novar, and several of the old divisions sold off. Try searching the net separately for them)
- Cooksons Hand and power tool suppliers, security and ironmongery
- City Plumbing Fittings, Boilers, Bathroom Suites, Cylinders, Showers
- Danfoss-Randall CH timers, stats and valves
- Decorating Direct Excellent range of paints, varnishes, tools, equipment, sundries and everything to do with decorating.
- Dewalt Power tools
- Dremel Craft tools
- Draper Tools
- Dulux ICI Paints - Colour schemer, choosing paint, decorating tips
- Duotool Warehouse Direct tools, fixings etc
- EH Smith Builders merchant
- Evode Adhesives and building products
- Fox DIY Ironmongery, tools, electrical fittings by mail-order
- Formica Formica!
- Gasman Some very useful information on the different types of Central Heating system
- Graham Group Graham Builders/Plumbers Merchant
- Hammerite Special paints fillers
- Hepworth Heating Ltd (Now Glow-worm) Manufacturers of Glow-worm gas fires and boilers, and Parkray solid fuel boilers
- Hepworth Plumbing Extensive product range of above- and below-ground drainage products. Includes the Hep2o (previously "Acorn") plastic plumbing range, suitable for central heating systems, and for hot cold water services. A free Hep2o Design and Installation Guide is available: phone Hepworth Plumbing Literature Service on 01226 766927. No guide prices, and a shame the site doesn't show applications.
- HG Products for cleaning and protecting floors, furniture, kitchens etc
- Hilti Power tools for drilling, cutting, grinding and sanding, plus sealants, foams and fixings
- Horstmann Central Heating controls
- HRPC Spare parts for heating appliances and boilers
- HSS HSS hire shops
- Ideal-Standard Bathrooms
- Industrial Flooring Services epoxy resin coatings, resin based overlays and patch repair products for floors.
- Isokern Chimneys
- John Carr Door Window frames
- Jewson Builders Merchants
- Keeklamp Versatile tube fastening system - handrails, barriers etc.
- Klober Roof fittings
- Knobs and Knockers door furniture
- Krylon Ronseal varnishes, Colron dyes, Thompsons waterproofing, Krylon spray paint, Isoflex roof repair/waterproofing
- Machinemart Hand and power tools, lawnmowers, welders etc
- Marley Rainwater products and building materials
- Marshalls Hardlandscaping materials, blocks, bricks
- Mcdonald Engineers Unvented mains pressure HW cylinder
- Meadows and Passmore Suppliers to clock and barometer repairers
- Mira Showers (Now part of Kohler Mira): Electric, Mixer and Power Showers. Also see Mira spares, a company selling spares online
- Monument Tools Plumbing tools
- Owenscorning Thermal and sound insulations. Design notes
- Plasplugs Plasplugs fixings, tools and abrasives
- Plumbworld Plumbing fittings by mail-order
- Plumb Centre Online ordering of plumbing, heating, electrical and drainage products etc.
- Plasti-kote Plasti-kote spray and brush-on special paints including high temp.
- Polycell Polycell products and applications
- Portland Cement
- Potterton Potterton Boilers and accessories. The site has a good description of the pros and cons of different boiler and system types. It even confesses to the 'lack of flow' problem for combi boilers, but also gives the scenarios for which the different systems are preferred. It gives typical designs for various systems. Includes flue clearances.
- Rawlplug Fixings, rawlplugs/bolts and chemical anchors
- Rockwool Mineral fibre insulation - thermal and acoustic
- Rockwool Group
- Ronseal Varnishes and stains
- Ruberoid Waterproofing, admixtures and adhesives
- Rugby Joinery (Now Jeld-Wen UK) Boulton Paul, John Carr
- Rutlands Power tools and accessories
- Ryobi Ryobi power tools
- Screwfix Direct Excellent range of screws, nails, fasteners, some electrics and plumbing, sealants, abrasives, drills, blades, locks, odds and sods, hand tools, power tools and accessories (see DIY Catalogues)
- Spear and Jackson Hand tools incl. Eclipse
- Toolfast Mail order tools and fixings etc.
- Torwood Homes, Torwood house kits website no longer exists: Persimmon put Torwood up for sale in May 2001
- Travis Perkins Travis Perkins builders merchants
- Trend (Routing) Tools Jigs Good introductory info and glossary on routing. Contents list of their free catalogue (see [diy-catalogues.html DIY Catalogues] ). Trend are manufacturers of router cutters and jigs, and stock Elu routers.
- Unibond Adhesives - PVA and Nomorenails
- Vent Axia Vent Axia ventilation
- Warmcel Cellulose fibre wall insulation
- Warehouse Direct A bit like [diy-catalogues.html#screwfix Screwfix] (see [diy-catalogues.html DIY Catalogues] )
- WD40 WD40 and 3in1 penetrating and lubricating oils
- Woodco Importers, manufacturers and suppliers of log houses, timber-frame houses, and post and beam houses
- Yale Security products
- UK.Telecom FAQ and EPLTelephone related sites. How to wire up 'n' phones and still have them ring! And lots of other phone stuff too.
- Kahrs Swedish wood flooring
- Unicorn Connection Floating Wood Flooring
- Forest Floors http://www.forest-floors.co.uk/ [Seems to be broken]
- Isaac Lord Woodworking Supplies A list of Isaac Lord's catalogue contents, special offers, details of the woodturning club and more.
- Crowsnest Woodworking links in UK A useful compilation of commercial sites, many of which provide handy general tips, some with excellent graphics.
- Woodworking (Coeur du Bois) Everything to do with Woodworking (UK)
- Woodworking Webring Woodworking web ring (Mostly US)
- Lie-Nielsen Woodworking hand tools (US)
- Chooza SDS Drill Comprehensive SDS drill resources with price comparison across all UK online suppliers.
- Cormaic's Guide to Paving Types and Methods in the UK Recommended ***** Paving and Drainage - drives, patios and gardens more. Comprehensive coverage and clear explanations with lots of diagrams and sample costs. Worth a visit if only to see what a well-written web site looks like. See the Site Map for full details of the contents.
- The Campaign for Dark Skys Guidance Notes and What is light pollution? The Campaign for Dark Skys has some excellent information on fitting outside lights. Anyone planning on doing this should check out their web pages before buying and fitting a lamp. Some countries have now introduced legislation which would make many badly fitted and over-power lamps used here illegal.
- Hometime Snippets from an American D-I-Y programme. "An American program[me] on what appears to be real DIY, not like, for example "Home Front" where the various contractors do all the work. The website suggests that the presenters (who bear a disturbing similarity to Ken and Barbie, life-size) actually get their hands dirty. The only caveat is that the methods are those used in the US, where, for example, tile adhesives are as different from UK products as, say, Budweiser is from Fullers' ESB. However the graphics on "howto" more than make up for this." Well worth a visit.
- Jim Evans's Home Repair Stuff Everything relating to home DIY. It may be a collection of American tips but lots very relevant to the UK. Good site with good links.
- Boiler Efficiency Database Boiler efficiency comparison
- Misty.com Lighting ideas
- Salvo Directory of some building materials salvagers
- http://www.doityourself.com/ Some useful DIY FAQs (US)
- http://www.diyfixit.com/ More useful DIY tips (UK). Good graphics.
- http://www.gasman.fsbusiness.co.uk/ Some useful information on the different types of Central Heating systems.
- Rick Hughes' Self Build FAQ
- UK Selfbuild Yahoo! Group (requires Yahoo! Groups membership)
- DMS Services Self build site
- Homebuilding Renovating magazine Home Building, Renovating, Extending. Some DIY, mostly self or custom build.
- Landbank Services Building plots, renovations conversions for sale
- passtheshareware Some shareware with a DIY bias
- Automated Home (was Mark McCall's UK HA site) Home Automation products in UK, and reference site containing information about automating your lighting, home entertainment, security, heating etc in your UK home. Also follow the construction of Mark's new home.
- http://come.to/diyha Krazy Keith's personal HA
- Blackfirs Another personal HA
- CE Bus US Home Automation CEbus Industry
Sources of Inspiration!